Friday, March 4, 2011

What it's really about

Avi and I recently spent 5 days in New York City.  It was my first visit there and was an amazing time, and an even more amazing city.  They had a crazy snow storm with a huge dump of snow and all of NYC was scrambled and out of sorts.  To us though, it felt like being back home in Canada!  While in Central park late one night, Avi asked me to marry him.  I was ecstatic!  It's the most amazing compliment to have the person you love say that they want to be with you forever.  We are getting married this September! 

For a girl that had Beyonce's 'Single Ladies' song stuck on repeat in my brain every single day, I really hadn't put any thought into what I would want my own wedding to be.  While I still am not sure of how our day will turn out style wise, I am sure of what I don't want.  After being a Bridesmaid, Maid of Honour and a guest at countless weddings...I have come to the realization that as much as I wanted my own, I don't actually enjoy weddings. 

Beginning with matching bridesmaids dresses:



 All different girls, each with their own individual styles, personalities and body types in the same dress.  When do you ever want to wear the same thing as someone else?  C'mon!

To a head table where your wedding party is forced to sit (while their significant other is forced to sit at another table, likely with people they don't know), to theme colours (que matching seat covers, linens and dress sashes), to a white wedding dress and matching veil?!  My list goes on.  So for someone that feels a wedding is tacky, it has been a struggle to come up with the feel and style of what I want my own wedding to be.  On top of frightening dresses, we are struggling to come up with a venue in Calgary or BC that reflects the personality and style of Avi and I.  In Calgary, there is actually a place called 'The Wedding Pavillion' that is a ready-made good to go cookie cutter wedding venue...people actually use this and think it's beautiful.  This is what my nightmares are made of!

I have added only one wedding blog, Style Me Pretty, to my list of daily fashion blog reads.  A ton of the weddings featured while theme-y, are beautiful, and I have enjoyed filtering through their ideas and coming up with my own.  They feautured a wedding yesterday, and it really made me stop and pause.  While I am busy trying so hard to plan the perfect 'un-wedding', another couple while planning their wedding, were are also somehow managing day-to-day real, raw life.  While from the outside they look like a beautiful care-free couple, their story of baby Harper brought me back to not only what a wedding is about, but what life is really about.
 http://www.stylemepretty.com/2011/03/03/missouri-wedding-by-hawes-photography-the-gifted-wedding/ 
I will now take a break from my own self-absorbancy and remember what is actually important and what a wedding actually is about.





No comments:

Post a Comment